Membership in the Muslim American Society
As a grassroots membership-based organization, the Muslim American Society (MAS) is only as effective as its members. Building a cohesive movement, with members that share a strong bond of brotherhood, sisterhood and Islamic-understanding, is a key enabler in MAS. MAS members come together to live Islam in its totality, align their lives with divine guidance, and translate the teachings of Islam into living models, relevant discourse, viable solutions, and constructive programs and services.
Benefits of Membership
Membership in MAS has many benefits. The most important privilege, however, is the chance to work in an organized national team and to contribute to the establishment of Islam in America. While this can be done through many organizations, MAS members realize that there is something unique about MAS: Tarbiya, organized Islamic work, movement orientation, brotherhood/sisterhood, moderation, comprehensiveness, personal development, American Muslim identity, Virtuous and Just American Society, Moving people, Conveying Islam with utmost Clarity, and more. No other organization in America does what we do, the way we do it.
Additionally, different MAS chapters have different engaging activities, developmental programs, signature projects, and additional membership benefits. So, please check with your local chapter for more details.
To become a MAS member, you have to:
- Be a legal resident of the United States.
- Support the Mission, Vision, Goals, Projects, and Activities of MAS and to adhere to its decisions.
- Complete the membership form.
- Pay membership dues.
Existing members, please contact the membership department at firstname.lastname@example.org to update your information.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What if I do not want to pay my dues using automatic withdrawal?
Due to the large number of MAS members nation-wide, we prefer to automate this process. Thus, all members should pay their dues using automatic withdrawal on a monthly basis. An acceptable alternative is paying on a quarterly or yearly basis upfront. Other methods have been tried in the past, with much difficulty and inefficiency. With automatic withdrawal, your dues will be deducted from your credit card or bank account on the same day every month.
- What if I have financial difficulties, and cannot pay?
A member who does not have an income, or who is facing unusual financial difficulties may be excused from paying the full membership dues amount. The person should:
- Apply for financial assistance from their local chapter, as this is a right that they have on their brothers and community.
- Make some monthly financial contribution based on their ability (for example $10-15/month).
- Inform MAS National about their situation.
- Re-initiate their membership dues after the difficulty is over.
- Priority for charitable giving and general donations should be made to the MAS membership dues, before other good causes.
- Be patient, and remember that sustenance is from Allah the Sustainer.
- What if I am already donating to MAS?
Thank you for your generous donation. However, Membership dues are different than donations. Donations are highly encouraged from members. Donations are allocated differently than membership dues. Members need to first pay their membership dues, and then donate.
- What if I am already paying my membership dues to my MAS chapter?
Please email the Finance department at email@example.com indicating that you are paying your membership dues to your chapter. Please CC your chapter president in the email. Please include the following information in the email: your name, chapter name, monthly amount being paid, and method of payment.
- What are membership dues used for?
When all members are paying, membership dues will account for approximately 30% of the financial needs of MAS National. MAS National provides many services to the local chapters. These dues go to pay for the national infrastructure that supports our organization.
- Can I see the MAS Financial Statements?
The most recent MAS National financial statements were shared with all General Assembly representatives and Chapter presidents. Please ask them for the statements.
- Is my information secure?
MAS contracted with Netsuite, a leading provider in the Financial and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) field, to host its financial and membership data. By investing in a proven cloud solution with Netsuite’s Infrastructure and Security guarantees, MAS members can be assured that their information is secure and private.
- What if I have more questions?
Please email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.